Marriage of John Adamson and Ann Skew is recorded in a journal that records the procedures of Quaker meetings as haveing occurred in 1716.
1691 America, arrival with brother Basil, from London England Settled in Newton Village , New Jersey. ( the Newton Monthly meeting house was built in 1684 . It is believed that the settlement which historians have called "the lost villiage of Newton" was located on the north side of the middle branch of Newton creek, Camden co New Jersey across from the city of Philadelphia.
KARD Files I, 21; VI, 25. Came to America in 1691. Married Ann SKEW.
Fraelich, p.6 ff: John Adamson was a Quaker. He and his brother, Basil, had come to America from London, England in 1691. John settled in Newton Village, New Jersey, and Basil went to Prince George County, Maryland.
The marriage of John Adamson and Ann Skew is recorded in a journal that records the Procedures of Quaker Meetings as having occurred in 1716.
The Newton Monthly Meeting House was built in 1684. It is believed that the
settlement which historians have called "The Lost Village of Newton" was located on the north side of the middle branch of Newton Creek, Camden (formerly Gloucester) County, NJ. The Quakers had been persecuted in England; physically assaulted, publicly humiliated, their properties confiscated and
shopkeepers and tradesmen refused to have business dealings with them. Newton Village was located in Camden County, across from the city of Philadelphia. William Penn had received a grant of land in America from Charles II of England on March 4, 1691. Penn intended to clonize this land with Quakers or anyone else seeking a place of religious freedom.
John and Ann Skew Adamson were apparently among those Friends who had left Newton Village and moved to Haddon Township, as on 31 March 1726 they brought certificates from Haddonfield Monthly Meeting to Gwynedd Monthly Meeting in Pennsylvania. They had moved to Bucks County and settled about eight miles from the present Quakertown, Pa.
John Adamson settled with his family on a farm of 155 acres.
Gwynedd Monthly Meeting Journals record the announcement of the death of John Adamson's wife. This announcement, made on 2 Sep 1733, included the information that their baby was in need of care. Ann may have died in childbirth.
On 1 Jan 1753 John Adamson assigned his property to his son, Thoms. His death date is unknown."