"Whitley County History" ca 1885
At the age of seven, William was taken by his parents to Richland County, Ohio, where he lived until 1836, when he came west to inspect some land his father had bought in this township, at a land sale at Fort Wayne; but being seized with the ague, returned home. Came back in the spring of 1837 on horseback, and began to clear up the forest and make some improvements on his farm. Born in Belmont County, Ohio in 1812, the son of James and Nancy Hedges, natives of Virginia, and of English orgin. In 1859 ( marriage record & license is 1851) he married the widow of Evan Davis, and the daughter of Calvin and Mary Nott, and by her became the father of nine children, of whom four sons and three daughters are still living. Mr Hedges underwent all of the privations and hardships of pioneer life, and was one of the first of the township, being present at its organization,and has ever been forward in all enterprises tending toward its advancement. His wife and himself are members of the Chuch Of God. In 1862, William Hedges owned 679 acres of land in Whitley County, Indiana.