Joachim Ernst Kraft HRNER

Abt 1660
Unter-Owisheim, Karlsruhe, Baden-Wrttemberg, Deutschland (Germany)
Sep 1710
Johann Michael Ernest Hoerner and His Harness Children; What the Documents Say
Abt 1690
Sep 1710
West Camp, Ny, Usa 
Johann Conrad Mattheus HOERNER
Abt 1695

Records of St. Paul's Lutheran Church (Begun by Pastor Joshua Kocherthal) At West Camp. Ulster Co N.Y. 1708-1899, as detailed and cited in Jones, I, p. 378. This church book contains the marriage of Michael's sister, but also identified the father and their home. The West Camp was a cluster of Palatine German villages on the west side of the Hudson River, opposite the huge holding of the Livingston family. The mother may have been dead before they left, or could have died at sea as so many did. Since the four of them were in New York in 1710, we can assume they were in Rotterdam and London with the other Palatines; but, they probably came after June 1709 when authorities had quit listing the emigrants because there were too many. There was another person over age 10 enumerated with them until the end of 1710, but not otherwise unidentified. It could have been a sibling or some other person who was shepherded by the family, but who died before 1711.
Unter-Owisheim, Karlsruhe, Baden-Wrttemberg, Deutschland (Germany)
Mar 1785
Hardy co, Va, Usa
Abt 1725
Pa, Usa 

About the year 1740, they removed to Virginia and settled in Hampshire County, now Hardy County West Virginia, about three miles above Moorefield on the place was called Mike's Ford for years. It is now occupied by one of his descendants George Fisher.
Built Fort Harness in 1739. 3 1/2 miles from what is now Moorefield, West Virginia. In May 1756 it was garrisoned by 50 men. Michal's home was 1 1/2 miles from Fort called Hawthorne.
Part of Fort still exists as part of residnece known as Water Edge.

1) Census: 1782 3 free white, 12 slaves
2) Census: 1784 3 free white, 1 dwelling, 3 buildings

"Harnesses came from Germany..." The family referred to did not come from anywhere else, at least with that surname. Instead, the head of the eventual family arrived in New York as Johann Michael Ernst (or Ernst-Hoerner, or vise-versa). Extant records indicate that he seldom, if ever, personally used the name Harness during his lifetime, even marking his name on his 1779 will (proved 1785) as ME. Incidentally, whoever wrote the will spelled the surname Ernest/Ernesst, which suggests that he didn't know German well either. In that will, only the names of his acknowledged sons were given as Harness. Others referred to him as Harness, but not Michael himself that we know of. (Henry Z. Jones, Jr., The Palatine Families of New York (2 vols., Picton Press, 1985), Vol. 1, p. 378; Jones, More Palatine Families (Universal City, CA, 1991), p. 342; Will of Michael "Ernest," Estates File, Hampshire Co., VA; and Hampshire Co., VA, Will Book 2 (1780-1794), pp. 111-113.)
Came down the Rhine River abt 1709 with his father and brothers. He doesn't appear in Pennsylvania until about 1723.

Michael, his wife Elizabeth, and six children moved from Maryland to the South Branch of the Potomac River in Virginia, now West Virginia in 1738.
They built Fort Harness on the South Branch in 1738-39. The fort was located 3 1/2 miles southeast of what is now Moorefield West Virginia.
Information for Michael Harness and Elizabeth Westfall Family is from World Family Tree Maker Volume 3, Tree # 6614 and from A GLIMPSE AT THE PAST, THE HARNESS FAMILY HISTORY a book by Harold Harness.
The following information is from Rick Brown:
Michael Harness was born Johann Michael Eernst Hoerner on 1 Jan 1700 in
Germany, the son of Ludwig Ernest Hoerner of Unter-Owisheim, in the
Wurttemberg Palatine, Germany. Michael d. March ? 1784 or 1785 in what is now
Hardy Co., West Virginia [at that time still a part of Hampshire Co., Va.]
[His will, made in 1779, was proven on 8 Mar 1785.] He married, supposedly
1723 or 1724/5, perhaps in present Berks Co., Pennsylvania, Elizabeth
Dieffenbach, who was baptized as Maria Elisabetha Dieffenbach on 8 July 1705
at Wiesloch, in the Palatine, Germany, the daughter of Johann Conrad & Maria
Barbara (Christler) Dieffenbach, of Wiesloch. Elizabeth may have d. after 1795
in Hardy Co., West Virginia. Michael arrived with his father in New York
Harbor in June 1710, being among several thousand Germans from the German
Palatine that were sent to New York a that time [including his future
father-in-law, Johann Conrad Dieffenbach] by the British. While exactly where
in New York Michael might have lived is unknown, it seems most likely that he
was sent, along with the other German immigrants, to the camp on Governor's
Island, in New York Harbor, and then later in 1710 to camps in the area of
present-day Germantown, in Columbia Co., N.Y., or near Saugerties, in Ulster
Co., N.Y. Late in 1712 he seems to have accompanied some of the German
settlers to the Schoharie Valley, settling near where Middleburgh, in
Schoharie Co., N.Y. is now located. Michael might have lived in the village of
New Ansberg [also called Hartlmansdorf] or perhaps at Ober Weisersdorf. In
1723 or 1724 he joined several other German families from the Schoharie Valley
in the Tulpehocken Settlement, near where Womelsdorf and Stouchsburg, in
present Berks Co., Pennsylvania, is now located, being among the first
settlers of that region. He is known to have been a resident there in 1725
(when he was named on a tax list), 1727 (when he signed a road petition), and
in 1733 (when he witnessed a baptism at Rid Lutheran Church.) Michael was a
landowner there in 1732, possessing property along Tulpehocken Creek, near
where Stouchburg, Pa, is now. Michael Harness journeyed to the South Branch
Valley of Virginia [now West Virginia] reportedly in 1735 or 1743. He is
supposed to have first made a settlement on the South Fork River, later going
to the South Branch of the Potomac River, in what is now Hardy Co., West
Virginia. Michael is sometimes said to have been the first permanent settler
within present Hardy County. Tradition fives us several accounts of the
Harness family's settlement in the South Branch Valley and Hardy Country.
Bettie Fisher related: "In 1737 Lord Fairfax sent out from Winchester, Va.,
Philip Powell Yoakem and 3 other men [said by some others to have also
included Michael Harness] as a prospecting party, to investigate the country.
And they, with the aid of a pocket compass, made a successful thru; and upon
their favorable report, upon their return to Winchester, Va.; Michael Harness,
Sr. with his then little family, and Philip Powell Yoakum 1st & his family
started out the following spring (1738), to settle with their families in the
Valley." George Yocum stated: "My grandfather, Matthias Yocum, Michael
Harness, and George Stump were the first three men that ever brought wagons
down to the South Branch. They came by way of Winchester, then up Big Cacapon
[the Cacapon River], Lost River and to the [South Branch] mountain. Crossing
over the mountain, they came to the South Fork of the South Branch... Michael
Harness moved down onto the main South Branch, four miles above the fork or
[near] where now Moorefield [W. Va.] is." William W. Harness added that
Michael "came to the South Branch about 1735... came from or by the way of
Winchester, Va., came up Cacapon and Lost River as far as Harpers; thence
across South Branch mountain to the South Fork in company with Philip Powel
Yokum, and others... He settled on the South Fork, about where Mr. Judy now
lives, built a cabin there and cleared several acres of bottom land, raised a
small crop of corn and vegetables, went back to Pennsylvania and brought his
family in a wagon up Lost River, cutting a road most of the way. Packing the
goods on horses, left wagon there and with his family crossed the South Branch
mountain on foot to his cabin... Afterwards packed the wagon, running gears
taken apart on his horses and ran the wheels over by hand, it being the first
wagon ever on the South Branch. He afterward moved over on the South
Branch...." In 1873 Helen (Yocum) Black wrote: "Elizabeth Harness a daughter
of Michael Harness at the age of eleven years, left the wagons with punk steel
and tomahawk in hand led the way from Capon Mt. & clearing the road so that
the wagons could pass, went to the S B [South Branch] River, built a fire had
it in readiness when the men got there. Consequently you will see that the
said Elizabeth was the first white woman that trod the Glorious soil of the A
B Potomac..." Michael settled along the west side of the South Branch of the
Potomac River, in what is now Hardy Co., West Virginia, near where the village
of Fisher is now located. He took up land "running from 'Mike's Ford', where
the ridge terminates at the river, down the river (a distance of 5 miles) to
'Buzzard's Ford'" [which is where Fisher, W. Va. is now.] The land that
Michael claimed was soon included within Lord Fairfax's own South Branch
Manor. Michael Harness was named on a "List of Inhabitants in the Lower Part
of the Manor of Wappacomo" [which is the South Branch Manor] dated 18 Aug
1748. Having granted the Manor to himself, Lord Fairfax seldom conveyed
outright ownership of property within it, mostly leases's On 3 Aug 1773 after
having lived there for many years, Michael obtained a lease from Lord Fairfax
for 249 acres in the South Branch Manor, known as Lot No. 49 West [which
appears to have been only a portion of ;the land that he had originally
claimed. However, it seems that many leases for Manor land were given by Lord
Fairfax on that date. Maybe by this time his original claim had been divided
among Michael and some of his children ?] Michael Harness conveyed his rights
to the lease of Lot NO. 49 to his son, Jacob Harness, on 23 Dec 1780 The
Harness family homeplace is supposed to have been about 5 miles southwest of
Moorefield, W. Va., not far from an area known locally as "Mike's Rocks" [a
rocky face on the hillside where "the ridge terminates at the river" or, in
other words, "Mike's Ford." Almost certainly both were named for Michael
Harness.] Near here, about 1 1/2 mile north of his cabin, Michael built Fort
Harness in 1739 to serve as a place of refuge for his family and neighbors
during times of conflict with the Indians. It was ordered garrisoned by George
Washington in the summers of 1756 and 1757 during the French & Indian War.
Portions of the Fort still remain today on the site, which is now knows as
"Water Edge Farm", located about 3 1/2 miles southwest of Moorefield, W. Va.
It is yet owned by descendants of the Harness family Michael was taxed as
resident of Hampshire [which then included present-day Hardy] Co., Va. in
1782, owning 14 slaves, 39 cattle, and 24 horses. He also appears on the 1782
and 1784 census of Hampshire County. In his Will he left his wife 2 slaves,
one third of his property, and one third of "other effects and movables" along
with one third of any money. Giving a slave to his son, Peter, he bequeathed
the rest of his property, slaves, farm tools, and livestock to his youngest
son, Jacob. Michael then divided the remainder of his money equally among all
of his children and two grandchildren. The surname that Michael used went
through numerous changes and combinations over the years. In 1733, when he
witnessed a baptism in the Tulpehocken, he was called "Michael Ernst
Kraft-Horner." He was Johann Michael Ernst Hoerner" when his daughter was
baptized in the South Branch Valley in 1743 and "Johann Michael Hoerner" when
he served on a coroner's inquest there in 1749. He was referred to as "Michael
Ernst" in Pennsylvania in 1725, 1727 and 1732, but only once in Virginia, when
Moravian missionaries visited him in 1749. However, this is what he called
himself when he made his Will in 1779. In 1737 his wife was referred to as
"Maria Elizabeth Ernst" in her father's Will. "Michael Earnest" was a buyer at
a sale held along the South Branch in 1757. Most often his name is given as
"Michael Harness" [sometimes spelled as Harnis, Harnes, or Harns] in numerous
Virginia records during the 1740's and 1750's; the earliest known use
occurring on 18 June 1747 when he was an appraiser of the estate of John
Bogard on the South Branch. With a few exceptions, all of his children were
always called "Harness." Tradition relates that Eliazabeth Harness once killed
an Indian with an axe as he came through the door of the cabin. She is most
likely the "Widow Harness" that is found on the 1785 tax list of Hampshire
Co.,Va. [which at that time included what is now Hardy Co., W. Va.], then
possessing 2 slaves, 4 horses, and 19 head of cattle. In 1786 "Widow Harness"
owned 83 acres of land in Hardy Country. She is probably also the Elizabeth
Harness who was taxed in Hardy Co., Va. in 1787 (again having 2 slaves, 4
horses, and 19 cattle), 1788, and in 1795. It is said that Michael & Elizabeth
Harness, along with other family members, were buried in a family graveyard
located on the hill in back of their cabin. No trace of this cemetery can be
found today.

Names of wife and children from Last will and testament, dated 1779, probated March 8, 1785, Hampshire County, Virginia: wife, Elizabeth, children: Jacob, John, George, Leonard, Peter, Elizabeth Yoakum, Barbara Zee, Dorothy Hornbeck, Margaret Trumbo; grandson Michael, and granddaughter, Elizabeth Robinson; granddaughter, Barbara Zee; son in law, Samuel Hornbeck


Johann Michael Ernst Hoerner was the son of a Ludwig Ernst Hoerner of the village of Unter-Owissheim in today's Baden-Wurtemberg, located 2 kilometers east of the town of Bruchsal, just 11 miles east of the Rhine River, and about 20 miles almost due south of Heidelberg.1 Although there is no previous connection known, Michael's village was but 15 miles south of Wiesloch, the home of his future wife, Maria Elisabetha Dieffenbach.2 We know nothing of his mother, but we do know that he had an older sister, Anna Margaretha, and an older brother, Johann Conrad Mattheus.3 These four arrived in New York City by 1 July 1710, where they appeared as No. 299 in Governor Robert Hunter's subsistence list. Within about 2 months of arrival, the father was dead, leaving Margaretha about to be married to a fellow townsman from Unter-Owissheim (Johannes Kayser), Conrad Mattheus, age 15, and Michael, not yet 10.4

After Ludwig's death and the sister's marriage, young Conrad temporarily seemed to have been in charge of the younger Michael; but, on 23 November, the Governor apprenticed Conrad to a local man, leaving Michael to find a new "home." By the end of December, a young person of his age had joined the subsistence list of the young Kayser couple and his mother, probably at West Camp, north of present Saugerties.5 Michael, then just 10, seemed to have remained with his sister's family until at least the end of September 1712.

We found no documents that were at all definite about Michael's whereabouts between 1712, when he was along the Hudson River in New York, and his well-documented residence along Tulpehocken Creek in southeastern Pennsylvania by 1725. The only possibility, in light of later developments, was presented by Ulrich Simmendinger in his Register (1717), where he located the Kayser family and the family of Michael's eventual wife, the Dieffenbachs, in adjoining villages among the seven Schoharie Valley settlements, made by many of the Germans who left the Livingston (East Camp) and West Camp settlements. They moved again after the failure of the naval stores venture up the Hudson, and after Governor Hunter had to halt subsistence to the Palatines after 1712.6 The Kaysers later moved to the Stone Arabia Patent along the Mohawk River. About the same time, 1722/3, the first group of Germans left the Schoharie "dorfs" for the Tulpehocken region. We do know that the Dieffenbachs arrived there by 1725. It is not unthinkable that Michael Ernst, then in his early 20s, was among the first or second group to Pennsylvania.7

Among his German countrymen on the Tulpehocken, Michael usually was recorded in documents simply as Michael Ernst, as he was on 10-11 January 1725/6 and 2-4 January 1726/7 on the tax assessments for landowners in Tulpehocken Township, Chester County. His name on the September 1727 petition by Tulpehocken settlers for a road to be established to Oley, in the next township, was a more full "Michgael" Ernst Herner.8 Another list of settlers, compiled from early land deeds and patents in that township by C. I. Lindemuth, listed Michael Ernst as a patent holder, but a map of the patents drawn by Lindemuth and dated 1723, was of some date after 1728. Nevertheless, Michael's land straddled Tulpehocken Creek and was the second lot west of the Fells Manor line, and just the third lot east of a similarly situated lot belonging to Conrad "Diffebach."9 The last occasion in that community that resulted in his full name on a document was the baptism of Johann Michael Riedt [Reed], Jr., at the well-known Reed's Church shortly after young Riedt's birth on 18 December 1733. At this time, his name as sponsor was entered in the Church Book as "Michael Ernst Kraft-Horner [with an umlaut over the "o"]." The additional name Kraft seems to ha
FamilyCentral Network
Joachim Ernst Kraft Hrner - Blocked

Joachim Ernst Kraft Hrner was born at Unter-Owisheim, Karlsruhe, Baden-Wrttemberg, Deutschland (Germany) Abt 1660.

He married Blocked .

They were the parents of 3 children:
Anna Margaretha Hoerner born Abt 1690.
Johann Conrad Mattheus Hoerner born Abt 1695.
Johann Michael Ernst Hoerner born 1701.

Joachim Ernst Kraft Hrner died Sep 1710 .